Magoosh GRE

How to Find Student Accommodation in the UK

| December 9, 2011 | 0 Comments

The good news is that International students are given priority in university Halls of Residence, as long as you have indicated on the initial form you filled in that you require accommodation. Rooms for International students are generally better than the rooms allotted to British students in Halls of Residence, but they are more expensive. You may have a room with an en-suite bathroom and it may be a single room, or one you share with another international student. These rooms may not have their own kitchen and you might have to share with others in your block, or use the cateen, which may not have food which you are used to. This can be a bit of a shock, but if you experience culture shock, there are always people to help you get over it. Canteens are crowded places because the food is cheap at more or less edible.

If you are not lucky enough to have been allocated such a room, you will have assistance from the university in finding accommodation. This may come from the registrar’s department as the university will have a list of landlords who they can recommend from previous students’ experiences and they will also have a blacklist of landlords and properties of landlords to avoid.

Some student unions actively help students find accommodation, while others don’t concern themselves very much with this aspect of university life.

You can check out sites online, one of the best is which has lists of properties in London, Coventry, Leamington Spa and Oxford, good if you are studying at the University of Warwick as well as those in Oxford, Coventry and London.

There are also “housing lists” which you can get from letting agents, and some estate agents also have properties for rent. You will have to decide how much you can afford to pay for rent per month when you calculate your budget, and try to find a suitable property, perhaps one that you can share with other students. Check out the notice boards in the Students’ Union building as there will probably be advertisements for someone to share an already rented property.

Good luck!

Tags: ,

Category: International Student Guide

Ask a question about this article

You must be logged in to post a comment.