Magoosh GRE

Support Available to International ESL Students

| October 17, 2011 | 0 Comments

Adapting to a new country far away from family and friends can be a nerve-wracking experience especially if you are an international ESL student. Although you will have a fair or good knowledge of working English, both written and oral, you are likely to need help with the ins and outs of life abroad.

Many universities will have a specialist team who are there to support international students with orientating themselves in their new city or town. You will find a warm welcome from experienced officers who understand what you need to know and how to help you. Common services will include a drop-in information and advice centre, guides to the university and the area, advisers who can provide confidential appointments, and assistance and advice on visa extensions and immigration. Social events are often a part of the package and are a good way to meet people from many different backgrounds.

The rules and regulations in respect of the law often take a little time to negotiate, especially if they are very different to your own country’s regulations, and universities provide support with day-to-day activities such as opening a bank account, driving in the country, work permits and the use of utilities, such as gas and electricity.

Apart from the necessities you have to know just to get settled down, you will also get support if you have any personal or academic problems. The team will point you towards clubs and societies as well, where you will meet and make new friends. Some universities have societies that are aimed specifically at international students to make them feel welcomed and included.

If you want to develop your ESL skills, ask for advice about short courses either in the university or in the city, or look for a one-to-one tutor to improve your speech and writing.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Category: International Student Guide

Ask a question about this article

You must be logged in to post a comment.