Magoosh GRE

Short Term Student Accommodation As An International Student

| October 11, 2011 | 1 Comment

Short Term Student Accommodation As An International Student

Moving to a new country to study can be a very daunting experience, let alone trying to find short term student accommodation as an international student.

Many students struggle with leaving home to study even while remaining in the same country, and moving to an entirely different country carries with it additional challenges.  That being said, it can also be an immensely rewarding experience.  For example, being in UK there so many benefits being an international student.

Finding suitable accommodation is something that needs to be arranged before you make your move, so it is important that you work with your university of choice well in advance of moving to ensure that you have somewhere to live when your first term starts, otherwise you run the risk of battling with the cost of living

Halls of Residence

When moving abroad to study there are many options when it comes to where you can choose to live, but by far the most straightforward is to reside at the university’s halls of residence.  You should consider if starting in Residence Hall make sense for you. This will be a great place to start your new life in your new country, as it will be both more convenient and safer than finding your own accommodation.  You will be surrounded by people who are going through the same sort of experiences as you are, and they will be able to offer support and advice.

Rented Accommodation and Hostels

Most universities will be able to provide you with a list of approved private rented accommodation, as well as give you details on hostels nearby.  The cost of living in rented accommodation as opposed to staying in a residence hall will in most cases be significantly higher, and you might also experience a feeling of isolation if you choose to live on your own and not with fellow students.

Families of Students

Another option is to arrange to stay with the family of another student; again, your university should be able to help you arrange this, or at least let you know if it is an option in the area.

If you need help writing a custom essay, please get in touch with us, click here

Also, see what support is offered by universities.


Category: Articles & Advice, International Student Guide

Ask a question about this article

You must be logged in to post a comment.